4/06/2020

Life in a Time of Coronavirus Nr. 3: Quarantine Week Three

I am now on day twenty-five of my quarantine.

In world news, Boris Johnson has been moved into intensive care. As much as I admire the principle of not wishing death or suffering upon anyone, though it is not a principle I adhere too, there is a certain level of cruel humor to a man deliberately ignoring the threat of coronavirus succumbing to it.

And even so, I sympathize with his children, for having even a friend, much less a family member, much less a family member so close as a parent, must be a painful experience, one that I count myself lucky not to, thus far, not have gone through.

Solely for the sake of his children - solely! - I hope that Boris Johnson recovers.




I have made a coffee cake, and it is as delicious as it looks. Here's the link to the original recipe. I will note only this: the original recipe calls for a 9 x 13 pan, I had only a 10 x 14, and therefore multiplied the recipe by 1.5, rounding to the nearest eighth. On top of that, I added a quarter cup of milk in addition. The cinnamon roll topping, which as you can see is beautifully marbled, required the amount of butter used to be doubled. I also took the liberty of adding small quantities of clove and ginger to the cinnamon topping.

I think that the next time I make it that I will add, to the batter, a quarter-cup more of milk, as well as a couple tablespoons of oil. This is to try and achieve a fluffier and moister texture. It's true that cinnamon rolls themselves are sometimes drier then cakes are (this is a relative observation, not a qualitative one), but even so.



In the meantime, I have worked on composition. (I have also gazed at the Scrivener icon without taking action.) I completed a track for ExoSpace, and I am hoping that completing another will not be so slow.

The issue is that my template is so heavy that I can not play back what I listen to without crackle. My desktop computer is my sole computer; it is my computer for producing music, it is my computer for writing, it is my computer for all else also.

I know, I know! This is not recommended practice. I work, however, with what I have, not what I wish for. And, furthermore, this is a situation that hopefully soon shall be changing. (And the consequent process of unloading extraneous software, disconnecting from the Internet, and optimizing the computer will hopefully resolve or at least mitigate that issue.)

ExoSpace's music remains my current focus. I think I have six tracks to go by now, which will make for a total of nine by the end, though it may end up becoming ten or eleven.



I have this observation to make: one of the pettiest minor tragedies of this pandemic is seeing so many beautiful dogs that I can not pet.

Peace out.

No comments:

Post a Comment