3/06/2022

"The Hours of the Noon" - OST Composing Jam: Crunchtime "Two Worlds"


As soon as I discovered the OST Composing Jam I immediately planned out five tracks and the orchestration I'd use. Unfortunately, though, the Crunchtime jam only lasted two days! On Mar. 4 I had my college placement test and a work meeting and then on Saturday I worked 9-5. 

I scaled back to two tracks. They would've been titled "A Shining Afternoon in the Field" and "A Skirmish Amidst Stormy Weather," and would've used the same ensemble as this track. The rough concept was for one slow piece and one fast piece, a duality which would have fitted the theme of the jam, which ended up being "Two Worlds."

Inevitably, this had to be scaled back down again. I ended up with one track, "The Hours of the Noon," with this ensemble: strings, harp, clarinet, bass drum, snare drum, tubular bells, white noise, and chiptune triangle.

My interpretation of how this fits the two worlds theme is that it alternates between the held string chords w/ motivic motion atop it and the more mobile melodic sections with a quicker bassline. Or, less literally: the adventurer has departed home, and begun to enter the wider world about them, and amidst the joy and excitement of it, they reflect, occasionally, on home and what it means to have left it, knowing that upon return both it and them will be different things.

I'd still like to explore my initial concept for the jam at some point. Maybe next time 'round.

No comments:

Post a Comment